31 March 2007

Saturday

..and off to downtown Knebworth. The direct trains weren't running today, so rather than take the replacement bus I went to Stevenage and got the bus back to Knebworth, all of 3 miles away.Rather than go straight to Art Van Go, I wandered round and found a charity shop and a bead shop with lovely jade, agate, etc etc beads --
...available singly...
...or in quantity ...Here's some of the booty - haven't unpacked the art materials yet. (All that wool for 50p - Jaeger silk&wool, and some Patricia Roberts cotton - now that's a blast from the past!)
After waiting nearly an hour for the allegedly half-hourly return rail-replacement bus to Stevenage, I was ready to get on any bus -- and got on the one to Finsbury Park, which came first. An hour and three quarters later, I was home at last. The journey up, including the busride from Stevenage, took about half an hour. But it was a lovely day with marvellous clouds, the roadsides bursting into blossom and leaf, and the countryside gently rolling and city gardens looking cheerful -- so the bus ride was actually a treat. You get to see places you wouldn't otherwise. Welwyn has a John Lewis, and Potters Bar has four charity shops within a stones throw (take note, Martha Ann).

6 comments:

Liz Plummer said...

Ooh, what gorgeous beads! I don't know why beads make my heart race ... I don't use them or wear them, only keep them for picking up and ogling every now and again... And Patricia Roberts... I remember going into the shop in Covent Garden when I lived in London in the 80s... still got a couple of her knitting books somewhere... thanks for the nostalgia!

Leanne Hurren said...

I only recently found the bead shop in Knebworth - it's gorgeous isn't it? I thought the prices were good as well.

knittingingrid said...

Great yarn finds - what are you going to make? And lovely beads! A good day out by any standards!

The WestCountryBuddha said...

What gorgeous colours. As a child I used to have a great big tin of buttons and beads just to play with, and even now, I just itch to plunge my hands into them and run them through my fingers. (on reflection, that probably sounds a bit sad!)

PaMdora said...

I love your photos, especially that little retro dish in the middle!

Sonji Hunt said...

Delicious beads!