13 March 2008

The Sunday Sailors


Seeing this quilt always makes me smile. It was a delight to make: a few years ago Pauline sent me a bag of scraps of the then-new line of Kaffe Fassett striped fabrics. Hmm, must have been quite a few years ago...! When ironing them, I got the idea of mountains and sailboats, and within moments had laid out a few boats and excitedly pulled fabric for the background.

The "story" for me is that these are boats on English Bay (Vancouver), with the North Shore mountains in the background, and some marina somewhere (?Granville Island) in the foreground. And it's mixed up with a couple of days on sailboats while visiting Vancouver some years ago, at which point I decided it was better (for me) to admire boats than to be aboard.

"The Sunday Sailors" measures 27" x 37" and used nearly every scrap Pauline sent.

3 comments:

Sue Krekorian said...

It makes me smile, too: such a lovely, lively quilt. Brilliant use of the fabrics. Thanks for showing it.

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

It makes me smile also. What a happy use of Kaffe fabrics, which I love. I would take this one home with me anyday.

Christine Thresh said...

I'll chime in -- it makes me smile, too.
Thank you for introducing me to Monet's dining room in your comment on my blog. I was not familiar with it.
I wish you had an e-mail link on your blog so I would not have to clutter up your comments to respond.