26 March 2008

Twin bags

I got carried away with this month's BQL bag challenge. But I cheated - and found out that cheating doesn't pay.

Instead of using strips of fabric and foundation piecing onto wadding, which would have been interesting and fun, I thought it would save time to use some stripey fabric found in the charity shop and sewing along the stripes - which was extremely tedious! There was enough in that stripey piece for two bags ... so I cut the fabric for two before starting sewing - and finally, here they are, slightly asymmetrical and looking more like fraternal than identical twins.

The handles and trim are from an African print skirt also found in the charity shop, but the lining is new fabric - its lime green picks up that hint of colour from areas of the African fabric.

Each has a useful little pocket on the inside - and will carry two bottles of wine and a cabbage without complaining.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which begs the question -'What do you intend to do with four bottles of wine and two cabbages?'

Is this a grown up version of Crackerjack?

knittingingrid said...

Hi Margaret
Looking at your twin bags, I was wondering whether you were in the market to make one as a swap. I have some Fleece Artist yarn I'd swap - a skein of sock yarn in Hercules and one in Rainforest? I'd kind of like a zip top and for it to be big enough to carry a quarto magazine (THE), packed lunch, water and knitting. Might you be interested in a swap? I'd love a purple or dark green bag (or the two combined!). Let me know what you think...

Mai-Britt Axelsen said...

Linda, you have no fantasy........ ;O)

By the way, lovely bags!

Paddy's Daughter said...

Love your shopping priorities - cabbages and wine! Bags are nifty too.