28 August 2008

Art that flows

"I make art daily--much in the same manner like a musician who practices notes. Often they are just small things--my immediate responses to life. In addition to the daily pieces, I work on larger ideas and have several pieces and mediums going at the same time. These multiple works inform each other with their ‘making’ and with their content. Some I ‘like’, some I don’t. I am happiest when my opinions disappear; one work simply flows into another" - so says Annie Helmericks-Louder, a painter who also works with fabric. See her work here and here (the latter site may have problems launching on some PC platforms), or read about her show on Ragged Cloth Cafe. Here's a detail from the image that fronts her website - fabulous use of fabrics:In the Ragged Cloth Cafe post, Linda Frost says "art should provide a speed bump to the daily race to the finish" - yes!

Via Linda's blog I came to an article about another show in Lawrence, Kansas, called The Dime Bag Show - artists donated $10 to the local Social Services League and filled a bag with "stuff" from which to make art - with wonderful results! The short video shows Linda's two pieces in that show - here's one (love the scaled-down shirt) -

No comments: