22 November 2008

Not the usual Saturday

This Saturday was focussed on a visit here -
a giant parking lot for Homebase and Sainsburys which, round the back, is where the local sorting office is -- and where my passport had finally turned up. With it safely in my bag, I bought a newspaper (and knitting magazine with "free" glittery 10mm needles) and settled in at the coffee shop on the corner with a large coffee -- so large that the cup has two handles so you can actually lift it; that was a bit of a surprise.

What with a new computer happening at my place, and all my unfinished projects, and trying to clear the decks before starting my art course in January, I'm very happy to be anywhere but at home at the moment. Which is probably not the best approach in the circumstances, but it might just be a phase....

The "lost passport" incident has thrown me off balance. I'm glad it's sorted, and it was unexpected and pleasant to sit and stare in the coffee shop. People were coming in with parcels saying "amazon" - what a nice thing to do, pick up your book from the post office and then open it up over a cup of coffee.

The way back home is through the park (gosh I've seen a lot of that park lately!), which includes a bit of the New River
and the crows were being hovered by gusts of wind as they tried to fly past trees - couldn't get the camera out in time to catch the crows in this photo, but the light through this birch was lovely even without them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Margaret,

I've read about the New River recently in Christopher Hibbert's 'London'. Hand dug apparently to provide a better water supply to the City of London very early on, James 1st time. I somehow imagined that it was all underground today, and never expected to see a photo of it!

Things you discover on the web!

Ann (Clare)

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog now for a bit-I truly enjoy the observations and that picture is spectacular. Thank you again for such meaningful postings-it is appreciated.

PS-I also would like to see the scene at the previously mentioned toilet once the cord is pulled...