04 January 2009

Structured procrastination

Author practices jumping rope with seaweed while work awaits.

If you think procrastination is a bad thing, think again. John Perry (author of brilliant essays defending life choices generally seen as faults – such as perfectionism ) will reassure you otherwise:

“All procrastinators put off things they have to do. Structured procrastination is the art of making this bad trait work for you. The key idea is that procrastinating does not mean doing absolutely nothing. Procrastinators seldom do absolutely nothing; they do marginally useful things, like gardening or sharpening pencils or making a diagram of how they will reorganize their files when they get around to it. Why does the procrastinator do these things? Because they are a way of not doing something more important. If all the procrastinator had left to do was to sharpen some pencils, no force on earth could get him do it. However, the procrastinator can be motivated to do difficult, timely and important tasks, as long as these tasks are a way of not doing something more important.”

Get the Tshirt, bag, cap, apron, mug…. Or, put that off while you do something less important ….

5 comments:

Hilary said...

I usually find that if I am procrastinating (and I'm very good at it) it is because they thing I should/want to be doing is not perfectly formed and ready to be tackled. Perry is right, the things we fill our 'wasted time' with are not totally useless - just less important tasks that need to be done. Sometimes though, the procrastination is fear. Hilary

Julie said...

I am the world's best procrastinator! I'm doing it now, catching up on the net when I should be restoring a vague sense of organisation to the chaos that is my home after Christmas. Thank you for this quote, it made me smile and is so true.

Deb Lacativa said...

That's a nice name for it. I've called it dog paddling in the past but even dog paddling will keep you afloat although you might not be getting anywhere. I'm still at it. See? http://morewgalo.blogspot.com/

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh, so true. I've observed this very behavior in myself and am always amused when a previously unfaceable task suddenly looks very desirable next to a new task I'd rather not face! A subtle shifting of priorities, I guess.

Sandra Wyman said...

So that's where I got my idea about creative procrastination from - must have been your blog: sorry not to have given credit and all!