22 January 2009

Tuesday class, week 3

The Natural History Museum was full of classes of students of all ages, from 5-year-olds up -
We went to look at structures that allow movement - bones - and spent the day drawing. We were told the snake skeleton was mere repetition and "too simple" -
So, why not draw a whale? -
I found myself in a dim corner of the Birds section, where there are still some delightfully old-fashioned cases. They explained things thoroughly in those days - Did you know that birds can have spurs and claws on their wings?
The raven wingbones I drew had neither claws nor spurs -
And after a close look at an emu's foot, I wandered off to find the sabre-tooth cat (now extinct) -
Next week we'll be making a structure that can move in a predetermined way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your drawings are amazing!!!!

magsramsay said...

Reminds me of the drawings I had do for my degree - although I did botany, had to do zoology in the first year. I got terrible marks as I got carried away artistically and neglected to get the whole of the skeleton I was drawing on the page!