10 February 2009

Making many from one

Sometimes it's really soothing just to follow the lines. So I decided to quilt the leaves in this bit of curtain fabric - and to make it into a number of A4-sized quilts - 9 or so - in the fullness of time, more Little Gems.

It's a chance for some practice in machine quilting (who among us can do without practice in machine quilting?), and a chance to listen to the radio for hours -- I find that I have to go quite slowly, so can hear the radio over the noise of the sewing machine.
A pleasurable day later, it looks like this:
But the back is better - something has appeared out of nothing!
Many leaves don't have borders, because that will be part of the next stage -- the plan is to make all of these quiltlets different. But how? My first thought was to quilt the white areas in different colours and patterns - or perhaps to paint the white areas - I'm on the lookout for ideas and would welcome suggestions....

2 comments:

Julie said...

I, for one, could certainly do with some machine practice. I am sure you could ring the changes successfully with coloured or variegated stitching, or maybe metallic? The stitching on the reverse side is a lovely bonus and could easily become a reversible quilt. I would be very tempted to paint some on the reverse side, depending on the nature of the thread you have used you could get some interesting results and resists.

Linda B. said...

Paint would be good - some kind of resist perhaps?

Or is there something that you can do with colour similar to using the Jones Tones glue and foil? Maybe I'm thinking of transfer crayons....