18 May 2009

Shop till you drop


A new series of Little Gem Quilts, using plastic bags. In the first one, I covered the bits of plastic with net and stitched around them. Didn't want to pin into the plastic and leave holes, so the net was useful for helping hold everything in place. At first I merely stitched the handles (see middle of top row) but it looked a bit bare - the 3D handles make a big difference. And yes, that's a John Lewis bag round the edge. 

After that I got bolder and stitched through the plastic. The background was quilted afterwards (in wavy lines). Another possibility is to  quilt the backing-wadding-top sandwich first, then add the bags, and also applique the handles.

4 comments:

Judy Alexander said...

Oh these look like fun!

Monica said...

Margaret they are super. Yes i have sewn with plastic I have heat stressed and painted when making Tomes with Patti Medras Culea. I glued pieces down and some I fused to Heat and Bond. Then I stitched round the edges. You have inspired me. Thanks
Monica

Sally said...

Margaret, those little quilts are amazing, I love the black and yellow. stands out so well. I would have never have thought about doing something with plastic bags! Very clever.

bBéatrice de Lausanne, Switzerland said...

Hello Mane.
Verry original and funny with the shops bags. I gave your blog address to one of my * abonné fidèle*. It thems she is making painting.
Sorry for my brocken english. It will came worth and worth.
I have problem with the write hand side colon of my blog. the pictures whood'nt pass under the idendite photo. and all they went Can't get them back. ZUT.
Why don't you go on my *abonné fidèle* as i am with you, so other people on your friends can see my blog as well !
Love Béatrice.