29 July 2009

Customising

Last year, as part of the BQL bag challenge, I made this muted messenger bag -
The fabric is a slightly stretchy denim-type, found at a street market. It's printed (using freezer paper triangles to protect the plain areas), which wasn't part of the instructions but was a challenge for me --very fiddly to get those triangles in place, and the piece of fabric needed was surprisingly large! So it might have been quicker to piece it, but the previous month's bag was also triangle piecing, and frankly I'd had enough of that ...

So, along with most of the other bags, this one languished unused - but when I did take it out to use it my son saw it and liked it. And wanted to take it along to use in Africa.

He had suggestions for a few enhancements. A zipped pocket on the strap (it had to be made from two little scraps, all the leftover fabric I could find). An inside pocket - well, I know from experience that two pockets are more useful than just one.
And what you don't see, buttons (closed by loops) on both corners of the flap.

No comments: