09 July 2009

Structure & volume 2

Last week, building our structures and starting the drawing coincided with the first day of the heat wave. This week, there were electric fans in the room, which certainly helped. But I don't think people were actually glad to be getting back to this task... Perseverence paid off, though. By lunchtime I'd got the proportions better - especially that box in the very centre; it moved a good 4" to the right, in stages. Interesting how difficult it is to "see" what's going on, even if you're measuring and checking and measuring and checking.
I'd started to add shading, not realising it needed to be cross-hatching. This unit is about consolidating what we'd learned about drawing, adding volume and tone.
This section was giving me considerable trouble.
as you can see from all the rubbings out -And I ran out of time -- with the help of photos I hope finish it before the assessment on the 14th, when all projects must be tidily stowed in the portfolio and will be checked by two of the teaching staff. Here are some of the other drawings of various lumpy objects -
A fabulous display, in the end.

No comments: