01 December 2009

Core studies week 11

Another day of working on "our own stuff" - Ian had brought in a book called Art Now vol 2 and I found a dozen artists whose work bears on my current project, or is just interesting for some reason. The photos of Elger Esser were like the one I'd torn from the free newspaper on the tube journey -Jorge Macchi represented speechlessness by cutting away the quoted words -
Won Ju Lim's combination of materials, transparency and opacity, makes for mystery and tricky multiple perspectives -
Jim Hodes cutaways show the inside and the outside at the same time -
Zoe Leonard is interested in "how the effects of time can manifest themselves in objects and on the relationship between the manmade and the natural" -
The other artists I took notes on are Tobias Rehberger, Ghada Amer, Tania Bruguera, Thomas Demand, Rineke Dijkstra, Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster, Jeppe Hein, Vera Lutter, Shirin Neshat, and Tim Noble & Sue Webster.

With all that buzzing in my brain, did I "achieve" anything? These two "rooms" (made from the bag that once held ground coffee, turned inside out) are going to be filled with sand - it will leak out around the doorway of the one on the left. I might cut "windows" out of the one on the right and see what happens with the sand as it rises...
There was also a chance to practice "talking the talk", and I had some good conversations with fellow students - which counts for something too.

No comments: