24 February 2010

Drawing

The new "travel writing" book is coming along quite speedily, thanks to spending at least an hour and a half on Sunday getting to and from the V&A (about twice the expected time). Every road in west London seems to be cordonned off for repair.Inspired by looking at the work of Sian Bowen when she was artist-in-residence at the V&A a couple of years ago, I am longing to immerse myself in this "slow" process and spend hours on a single drawing (perhaps this is a reaction to having to hurry to get the final project ready?).
Also I'm thinking of using other materials than the usual slim silvery fountain pen and A6-size notebook. She often uses "historical papers" - eg old wallpaper fragments - for drawing on, so I found some historical papers of my own - the receipt for a haircut, and another for a snack at the V&A caf. Not exactly ancient historical documents - but these bits of ephemera now have a new life. And the bottom one used three different pens -

6 comments:

Sandy said...

oh YES. Do this! It is good. That's is what receipts are for! and I love the fact that the drawings relate.

What pens do you use? I have a set of Pilot DR drawing pens. Various sizes of black and one sepia. But I recently got a set of Staedtler triplus fineliners in all colours. I fell in love with the feel of the black one for writing in my journal, so I have replaced the one in the set.

How do you carry your pens? I have a small book to doodle in, but I seem to be juggling the pens all the time if I have them on a journey or in a boring meeting.
Sandy in Bracknell

Stitchinscience said...

Hi Margaret, thanks for the comment on my blog. These drawings look very good, I wish I could draw, but I'll have to stick to tracing for now.

Margaret Cooter said...

To answer your question about pens, Sandy - the one pen I carry around is a fountain pen - it takes cartridges and fits into the spiral of my A6 sketchbook. For use at home, I'm constantly buying various felt tips and picking up biros here and there, and have been known to use a pencil too - so, anything goes, usually what's near to hand. But some pens are better with some papers - and some pens are horrible with some papers. The fountain pen is good on cartridge but not on coated papers. My rules on "pen hygiene" demand that any pen that no longer writes properly gets thrown out immediately -- but still they mount up in jars in every room...

Cda00uk said...

I love this idea - I was splashing ink around at college today and thought it would be interesting to draw on newspaper - which would make an interesting contrast with tiny receipts. Or bus tickets - you're an inspiration!

Sandra Wyman said...

Brilliant idea Margaret - and I love the drawings

Tonya Ricucci said...

your drawings are really eye catching. love the scissors especially. lovely work.