10 April 2010

Art I like - Sam Winston

Sam Winston has been doing stuff with text and typography and books and sculpture and printmaking for a few years. The work makes makes me smile ... and it makes me wish I'd had those ideas ... and it makes me think of a few ideas of my own ...

Of "Space between words" he says: "The columns of a newspaper were its original inspiration. Obviously, now though, this piece is no longer about the actual words. Instead I was implying that the ‘space between the words’ is where our thoughts take shape."This is from "Pencil drawing" -And he does drawings - of linesof every word in Darwin's Origin of Species, categorised according to part of speech -I'm a bit baffled by Dictionary Story, but love the look of it. He explains it in this video. And you can buy a copy (I just did) -

And what about the 20 volumes of the OED, folded 4 times each - that's 80,000 folds..."Generating alternative meaning" - and a lot of actual Doing - all those lines, all those folds ... love it ...

No comments: