22 April 2010

Painting course, day 1

The course, 3 hours a week, is called Painting Stories. The tutor is stuck in Africa but had sent email instructions to a stand-in.

The first thing we did was as to make various sorts of marks with brushes, sponges, cardboard, masking tape - stippling, dribbling, splashing, printing ... that took about 20 minutes -Then we were given words and five minutes to "do" each. Can you figure out which is: secretive; freedom; flow; excessive; confusion -
I liked using the paint but didn't manage to convey the words very well. Never mind, try again some other time!

After a break we chose various objects to paint -
The pair of paintings reflect or convey our choice of contrasting words -
in this case, calm and agitated. Although it doesn't look like leg and foot bones, the mood comes through.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

ah yes, markmaking to reflect mood. I never did get this. I dread having to convince my students this is a Good Idea. They can hardly bring themselves to play with bits of paper and card. I am saving the mark making for texture, as I think it is easier to translate to textured fabric or printed texture or embellished.
Sandy