11 November 2010

Artists' books at the Tate

Friday - the day the Tate Library and Archive is closed to readers - was our group visit to the Tate to find out about their artists' books. What a feast was laid out to look at, chosen from the 5000 or so items in the collection - alphabet books, blank books, nature books, etc etc. The catalogue is on the website, as are instructions for going to see the books yourself.

Here are some names I wrote down, for further research - Ed Ruscha, Sol Lewitt, Dieter Roth, Stuart Mugridge, Carl Andre, Ian Hamilton Finlay, Hamish Fulton, Helen Douglas, Sarah Morpeth, Meg Richardson, Andrew Malone, Graeme Walker, Seth Siegelaub, Claire van Vliet, John Crombie, Julie Johnstoene, Glynis Candler, Thomas A Clark, Ronald King, Karen Hanmer,
Laura Davidsonm Jarozlaw Kozolowski, Jane Hyslop.

While trying to read my writing (in smeary pencil; pens not allowed!), checking best guesses against Google, I found this exhibition review with a slideshow of some of the books in the show. This one (A/Z - an alphabet book) is by Peter Bushell -

1 comment:

beatrice De said...

It is in London, I have seen special artists books designs, for the first time.

Thin I have seen many, and I like them. You might have seen my post fefore the *Basel fashnart* post, Last year, on my blog. It has been a beatifull exibition with artists books.
My friend in Basel, collect some. Beautifull !