02 November 2010

Studio renovation - some logistics

When I left home this morning, all my fabric was in (a) a big cupboard; (b) another "cupboard" which is actually drawers; (c) the corner of the room where the ironing board used to live; or (d) the corner of the room where the bed used to be. Oh, and all the white fabric was (and is) happily and neatly in the wire baskets in the airing cupboard, along with the ailing boiler.

When I returned this afternoon, my domestic assistant and home project manager had moved cupboard (b) - but not before moving the heaps from (c), in front of it, further into the corner, indeed into most of the rest of the room. Heaps at location (d) also needed to be shifted, so that cupboard (a) could be moved beside cupboard (b)'s new position.
Cupboard (a) is solid and heavy. Everything had to come out so that it could be moved - and the only place left was the landing ... and kitchen -
The cupboard has been moved, the contents returned to it. The project manager wants to get on with the building bit.

When the worktop is extended into the vacant corner, stackable plastic boxes will go under it, to hold the fabric currently in cupboard (a) and corners (c) and (d). Will it all fit? - well, that's a rhetorical question ... I know lots of it simply has to go.

A real question: where to get stackable transparent plastic boxes? The bottom one in each stack should have wheels, and they should be quite big - and preferably the higher ones in the stack should be about half the depth of the wheeled one. Impossible??

4 comments:

Sue Krekorian said...

something like this?

http://www.staples.co.uk/really-useful-tower-units

or

http://www.johnlewis.com/Home+_26+Garden/Storage_2c+Drawers+_26+Shelves/Storage_2c+Drawers+_26+Shelves+/Boxes+_26+Baskets/Tonterelli/-/Brand/7323/ProductCategory.aspx

or

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09848447

would like to see your solution as I'm going to be after something similar...

Good luck!

Margaret Cooter said...

Thanks, Sue. My current favourite is from the Really Useful Box Company
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/tTower2x9l_1x19l.php
Four of those will hold a lot of fabric! I'd prefer that they stacked rather then were in a frame, but it seems that crates with wheels don't have identical crates without wheels...

Liz said...

I was thinking Lakeland ought to do something like this but looked and couldn't see anything! I'm glad you asked, though, and am taking note of those links!!

Diane Kelsey said...

I am sympathetic as I am moving rooms too. My lounge and spare room are full of clear boxes. I know have have got to use up lots of my stash before I ever think about moving house again. Where does it all come from? I am also very glad thatmy husband had NO idea about the cost of textile products.