14 January 2011

"Arterial"

Another twist and turn in the development of my "journey lines" project involves tracing from road maps - journeys along the streets that are the arteries of the city. Combined and reconfigured, the routes look like veins, or circulation diagrams of some strange body -- or else like outlines of strange, mythical animals.

To get something suitable for screen printing, I've been layering and photocopying the routes -and also tried taping the tracing paper together - but that simply didn't work for making the screen -
However the photocopied version worked well - in terms of making the screen. When it came to printing, the screen seemed to clog immediately - the second print was noticeably inferior. The textile printing room is very hot; yet on other days (with other screens) I could get half a dozen good prints before it started to clog. This time I had only the one screen to work with, so not much got done.
Washing out the screen after each print, I did manage to print parts of the deconstructed jacket -
Some of the pieces are missing, so there's not much point in sewing it together again.

In relation to this, consider the work of Canadian weaver Ruth Scheuing with men's suits.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

oh my! I just had this idea yesterday and here it is!

I thought I would 'do stuff to' cut-out patterns in a manner similar to the way they did the embroidery for the men's jackets from the 1700's (you can see some in the textiles section and sometimes in the fashion gallery at the V+A)
But then I was going to mount them onto a 'quilt' background. I had thought it might be a plan for FOQ or even a European show.

So, that is what I would suggest you do with those pieces if you want to take them beyond experiment.

If you thought you would take that thought further - after all, a pattern is a map for a garment, isn't it? - maybe a collaboration or a 2 woman show? That is, after the Slough Museum show and something very big at FOQ I am not sure I can say yet.
Sandy in Bracknell