21 March 2018

Progress in the studio

A worktop is ready for Wednesday's task - woodblock printing, carrying on from the class, which has finished for the term. 
Not perfect, but there's enough space to spread out a bit. And woodblock printing is meant to be a "compact" sort of production. 

Hidden in the far distance is a radio - it will be a morning of listening to whatever's on Radio4. When I was still working in the day job, it was my dream to spend the days in the studio with the radio on in the background. Now, I'd just as soon have silence ... though of course there's the temptation of podcasts ... which did not exist in the days of the day job.

I keep finding items that need to be documented before being passed on -
A collection of broken car mirrors, found in the street

From a Tate carrier bag - what a good idea to have ART, rather
than logos, on (paper) carrier bags

Menu from a Paris restaurant - 1994 - prices in francs

Can you believe it, a collection of Russian toilet paper -
from the plane and various hotels and bars, 1995
(these had been rediscovered in an earlier studio reorganisation)

An idea - unsuccessful - for the "Underfoot at the V&A" project

Years ago, the London region of the Quilters Guild had an annual
celebrity lecture - this may have been the last; I was involved in
the regional newsletter and flier production at that point

1999 - I was part of Fibre Art London, exhibiting at Leighton House,
London and also in Broadstairs, Kent

The Loomus cartoons in the Guardian are sadly missed

Creative memories from the early 2000s -
pergola at West Dean, on my first visit there;
felt stitched with a poem (Mornings Like This);
indigo dyeing from City Lit;
a fling with clothing as a subject;
 and the quilt that nearly cost me my relationship

"The view from my chair", June 1992, on an A5 envelope

4x6 cards from a larger series, each a textile collage made quickly before
going to work; they were how I kept the creative momentum going during
a time when life seemed to be just work and sleep, work and sleep

Sunsets, much the same round the world
Petworth, Chillon, London, Vancouver



No comments: