07 December 2006

Following the fashion

Once my favourite department store, known like the back of my hand, John Lewis Oxford Street has had an image update, moving everything around and putting escalators centrally. Fabrics (such as they are) and haberdashery depts are now on the fourth floor. There seems to be less of a range of stock throughout -- but rather more in the cosmetics/perfume area, which is ground floor centre front, just like in every department store. Well, you gotta change to keep up...

1 comment:

Felicity Grace said...

Interesting to see the changes. Trouble is, all these department stores all look the same, they have lost their character. Last time I was in Clapham Junction I saw that Arding and Hobbs is to become Debenhams (I think). Since Ardings was taken over (can't remember that big name that owns Army and Navy, Debenhams etc) it has looked like a cheap warehouse with pretensions. Had real old shabby glamour before.