25 April 2007

April sewing challenge

Every month the UK Sewing group has a challenge - which might be to finish off something, or make something new, or get to grips with a technique. Acting on Sue's advice that "now is a polkadot moment" I planned a skirt to use some fabric from my stash. It's a light cotton so I decided to interline the skirt with some silk organza from a thrift-shop find.The hard part was getting going - I tried to analyse this reluctance, and a lack of confidence in the pattern came into it. 5 1/2" ease seemed a bit much -- and was -- I took it in a lot. Once the zip was in it went more quickly. All in all the project took 8 hours, including adapting the pattern - adding pockets and facings at top and bottom.
A closeup of the stitching - the wavyness is an interesting "feature" that emerged from using two threads at once. (The dark one shows on the light areas, and the light one shows on the dark areas.) I've found that using two threads is rather unpredictable - even when they are the same type of thread.
The silk interlining makes it feel so good to wear!

No comments: