30 May 2007

Struggling

This weekend I'm off to the CQ summer school, which is being held at Alston Hall, in Lancashire (up north). Last year it was held at Hartpury, in Gloucestershire (out west). I started this piece there - and it seems like a good time to finish it, lay it to rest.After hours and hours spend adding miles more quilting to the cloth, it was time to add the flowery bits of crayoned and stitched reworked photographs (once a beautiful white rose). But how? Various people suggested various things - even Tony contributed the idea of cutting windows and having the flowers at the back - so I decided to do one thing after another and not worry too much about the final result. Not that the brain isn't trying desperately to get it all to harmonise somehow!
During the hours of stitching, a name for it appeared: Morphing the Rose. But a more apt name might be - is! - Pastel Soup. This piece is full of valuable lessons in what not to do - most of all: less is more. The cloth is too, too busy. I might get out some white paint and ....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is too busy at all! I love it. I appreciate the less is more idea, but I also really like more, too. Awesome work.

Leanne Hurren said...

I agree with Kathy - don't think it's too busy at all - I love it! Would like to hear more about how it was done - especially the bit about the photos

The Idaho Beauty said...

Really like the mix of "overlay" and "underlay" - that Tony's a keeper!

But I agree that the background could be toned down a bit.

My, I think you brave to cut through a quilted piece!

Linda B. said...

... or you could add even more, some artificial flowers perhaps for a real TT experience?