29 August 2007

Journal quilt

In light of the rotten weather we had in August, I wanted to do something about wind and rain. Out came the grey fabrics

but when it fell together it was very bitty and complicated. I left it pinned together and hopped on the bus to Hampstead, but found Fenton House didn't open till 2 so went window shopping. Unexpectedly there were great bargains in one of my favourite shops, and I came out with items that will be useful next summer, whatever the weather...

Fenton House has a musical instrument collection, rather a lot of fussy china, and delightfully detailed needlepoint and stumpwork embroideries from the 17th and 18th centuries. The rooms are lovely - the bedrooms have arched nooks with inviting windowseats and leafy views.

When it's not overrun with people, as today, Fenton House is a lovely place to visit. I'd intended to sit in the garden and draw, and did do that, and continued to sit in the garden, stitching. What a pleasant afternoon, after all. Did I mention the sun was shining? And that the garden has two kinds of holly topiary? The pointy trees are along the path to the left, and are a variegated kind of holly. The pointy leaves and careful shaping have a disquieting effect.
Back home, to the machine, and in about an hour the JQ was stitched down. I used several kinds of black-white-grey variegated thread, trying to get the effect of rain but achieving a feeling of being on a suspension bridge!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Scatter some clear beads along those lines and I bet you'll get that look of rain you wanted.

This piece really works for me, even as a suspension bridge. VBG Love it!