30 April 2008

Journal quilts again

Here are a couple I made earlier - above, trying to convey the pleasurable feeling of warm soapy washing-up water; and below, a rainstorm -
The rainstorm started with a monoprint on the splodgy dyed fabric (a black dye that separated out into component colours), and the grasses are two different threads on the top layer, rather than the colour being changed by the dark overlay. And you're right, I should have been more careful with getting the gold piece straight....

6 comments:

sewkalico said...

I didn't think that about the gold piece at all in fact I think the whole piece is lovely!!

Julie said...

I totally agree with karol-ann. The gold piece is fine and fits in with the theme of being blown in a rainstorm. I love this quilt!

Mai-Britt Axelsen said...

Love them both, Margaret - just my thing.

Anne Wigfull said...

Yes, the gold adds a little contrast to the straight lines.
The first photo of washing up bubbles is very appealing, you have captured the 'lift' or rising up of bubbles very well.

Anonymous said...

So, I'm not the first , but I think this piece wouldn't have had so much life if you'd got the set square out and lined everything up.

Your rain pieces are developing all the time - isn't it time to translate them into a storm, i.e. a larger piece of work?

Anonymous said...

Ah, Margaret, these are lovely. The rain piece captures the weather outside my window right now. I really like the 12x12 size, too. Been crazy-busy but glad to be catching up with you.
Rayna