11 April 2008

London miscellany

Gordon Square, WC1 - I often walk through it on the way to browse at Waterstone's or window-shop along Tottenham Court Road -- John Lewis department store on Oxford Street goes back to 1864. Here it is from the back, the Cavendish Square side. The square was planned in 1717 as the focus of the estate of the Earl of Oxford and Mortimer and gradually gracious Georgian houses were built around it, while sheep grazed on the turf --
Men at work - this building has suddenly appeared near Euston Station, or maybe I just came out of that trance-like state that accompanies "going to work" and noticed it --
The shroud covers what was once the 250-year-old Middlesex Hospital, and will become yet more luxury apartments --
And not strictly London - an embellished train (note the safety feature) --

3 comments:

Anne Wigfull said...

Luxury apartments at the Middlesex? Are they going to keep the historic green and white tiles?:¬}

sewkalico said...

Hi again, it's been a while. I had quite a lot of posts to catch up on and see that you have been really busy creating wonderful art works. Wow!

Love all the London pics too (makes me miss the big smoke a bit).
Cute little quiltlet you made with the fabrics I sent you

elsa eriika said...

Hi!

I found your blog today! Thank you for many wonderful posts about textiles! I linked you to my blog!