30 July 2008

Isolation - or niche?

"I am now quite cured of society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself." (Emily Bronte)

This looks like a nice place to find such company, and has a couple of the relevant accessories (the reader is probably looking for her reading glasses) -
Along the same lines of thought: "In my isolation I grow stronger" (Paul Gauguin) and "My work is always better when I'm alone and follow my own impressions" (Claude Monet).

Comes a time you have to stop looking around at what everyone else is doing, and follow your instincts, use your own vocabulary, start narrowing your focus. Or else retreat into an armchair.

4 comments:

Linda B. said...

What a wonderful picture you have conjured, both physically and metaphorically.

It's also very apt. Now half a week into the holiday I've time to bring together the fleeting thoughts from conversations, both real and virtual, held over the last few months. And I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way forward for me is to make my own way, do what I'm doing but do it more, in every sense of the word. Perhaps one for 2009?

Unknown said...

Hello there Margaret !

i've used the same quotations in my blog as well. They spoke quite strongly to me.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Move over, I'm taking over that chair! And the glass of wine. ;-) Love that lamp - need one for my bedside stand.

Thanks for the quotations. I work so much in isolation that there are times I feel I must rationalize it to people who don't appear to understand or who feel they have to pity me. Some of us our very comfortable in our own company and we definitely need that time to process, focus, turn down the noise, find our own way.

magsramsay said...

Perhaps those that don't understand the need for isolation aren't tuned into their inner voice (or don't like what they hear!)