23 October 2008

A matter of timing?

During October I've been making this month's BQL bag-challenge bag, and am pleased to have finished it. It involves 60 squares of 4 pieces each - not huge as quiting projects go. It uses up some of the hand-dyes of pre-used fabric I have lying around, and it wassomething to nibble away at, whenever I had 15 minutes to spare.

Yesterday morning it was all pieced and ready to be quilted and put together; I had the entire day free.... Somehow the quilting, handles, and lining took 4-1/2 hours - I was determined to get it done and dusted, but was amazed at how long it took, and that has made me wonder just how long the cutting and piecing had taken, and what the wage-equivalent value (and possible commercial value) would be.

Of course that's not the point - it's the enjoyment of the making, isn't it?

But sometimes you do have to ask yourself: is the really the best use of my time.

2 comments:

Ann Clare said...

The point, Margaret, is that this is a lovely bag to use. It's roomy but a bit secure with the gathered in top!

Enjoy!

Ann (Clare)

magsramsay said...

The question is really whether you enjoyed the process. Even when I did traditional patchwork , I preferred the design and quilting elements to the piecing stages and the assembling was something that I put up with to get to the more interesting bits. Now doing more art-related work I enjoy every stage!
I would like to do a bag that reflects my more recent interests but don't want it to look like an artists canvas. Difficult!