03 January 2009

A better idea

Never mind the “to-do” lists – how about an “I did it!” list? Here are instructions for making a journal cover out of “chalkboard” fabric. You might not want to specially get the special fabric, but a little book listing accomplishments is a really good idea – especially for those dark moments of the soul
when you wonder what it’s all about, and why you bother, and nobody appreciates or understands you…

This is a great use for the 2004 diary that I’d planned to use this year – Jan 1 was on a Thursday in both years, after all – but I’d not remembered that 2004 was a leap year, so for 10 months of the year the 2004 diary will be one day out – which could get seriously confusing and counterproductive. However it will make a great “I did it!” book – an ideal home for the tiny post-it notes that list my three (or so) goals for each day. It has those nice little corners that you tear off so you can get to the current page easily.
Making the cover [see top picture] wasn’t on today’s list, but thanks to the magic of fusible webbing took mere moments -- 27 minutes, including putting things away afterward. A necessary distraction! I used the tidy method that Linda shows here.

2 comments:

Linda B. said...

Not just a better idea - it's a great idea, it's so easy to think that you're not producing anything.

So the question is not "Do I need another book?" but "Should I make a three a day book, or just list the outcomes?" Decisions!

Sandra Wyman said...

I have a friend who's a very prolific quilter who told me about her secret a while back - and it's the "done" list - so much more morale-boosting! And I have a spare desk-diary that will now live in the studio! Thanks