31 January 2009

Friday late at V&A

The theme was "Chinese new year - year of the ox". Lots of activities - including an "ox" being led round the museum. I managed to leave my camera at home, and didn't have my sketchbook either. "Crafted in food", exploring Chinese New Year traditions of food sculpture, came up with wonderful creatures made with potatoes, peppers, etc. Somehow we missed Lu Chunsheng's "simultaneously magical and hyper-real" video-films "contemplating the morphing symbols of our layered global imagination, constructing idiosyncratic narratives amidst the unstable remnants of shifting ideologies."

But making "fortune boats" with the designer-in-residence was fun - There are possibilities for lampshades with these shapes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ferget your camera ?. it's reminde me when I went in Tokio,up at 6 o'clock.to the famous fishes marquet, fergetting my camera. I went back next morning. You should get up match erlear, at 6o'clock half of the fishes are allready sold. Very attractiv place.Bisous. BĂ©atrice from Switzerland.

Anonymous said...

Dear Margaret - I wonder how to make these lovely little boats, too? Can you help please?
Thanks, Uli (Hils' friend)