24 March 2009

3D, week 11

The first day of spring - lots of people having lunch outside - this is Lincoln's Inn Fields, right near the City Lit. Maybe the weather affected my thinking? In sculpture class we were thinking about monuments. On Sunday Tony and I had taken the boat from Embankment (Cleopatra's Needle) to Greenwich (where there's another obelisk at the riverside), and a couple of weeks before that, I'd seen a smaller obelisk at Finsbury Circus, with a portrait plaque on one side, but no inscription; intriguing.

In class my original aim was a monument to the practical, hard-working women in my family - my grandmother, her daughters, and daughter-in-law, my mother. The four sides of an obelisk. But the idea of a plaque on each side showing objects indicating their skills seemed too fussy - why not have a hollow monument, a monument to something else --
Instead of being lit artificially, it could be lined in mirrors to draw in and reflect light. So, someone looking in would see their reflection -
The tracing paper was held together with sewing (tricky at the top) and I'd like it to stand in a very shallow lake, a thin skin of water over some rough pebbles. At home I made another version, lined in aluminium foil -
A monument to thinking, perhaps?

No comments: