28 May 2010

Yesterday in the studio

I've been trying to leave the work surface clear, on stopping work, but not always succeeding -Putting things away can be an, er, meditative activity ... to get you in the mood for work?

A piece that might or might not happen, at this stage, involves the sweeping lines made by sails in the wind. I had jotted down a thought or two -
but more research was needed, so I found photos of sails on the internet, including some excellent ones on Tony's website (it was those that gave me the idea in the first place) which showed the seams clearly -
While putting things away, I found some more tracing paper and made another couple of dozen boats. To my surprise, the folding and shaping took just over an hour -
One or two have graphite rubbings (frottage...) inside, between the layers of paper, where the graphite won't get smudged -
Also I finished stitching a long piece of silk organza, and painted it. It was destined for a "travel blanket" that I might not have time to make -
With the folds still in, it looks like ripples on sand dunes. Next (or rather, later), I'll do this with polyester and heat set the folds.

No comments: