17 June 2010

Conundrum

At the weekend studio, I spent Sunday morning arranging scraps and auditioning threads.There was no batting on hand, so an out-at-elbows woolly sweater got used instead. The grey fabric (a dyeing experiment) is a nice stiff canvas. The first stitching followed the "travel writing" lines -
The rest of the stitching is parallel lines - and some small pieces were added as raw edge applique -
When it was finished, I couldn't think of a title. It posed a conundrum - and that became the title.
With this little piece I was simply playing with scraps - which is lots of fun - but there wasn't really an idea driving it. It "just grew" - and though I can make up various stories about what might be going on, none were clear enough for a title to emerge.

When it's mounted, the wavy edges will (hopefully!) disappear. Under the zigzag edging is a cord to help keep the edges from waving - obviously this method is more effective at some times than others.

I mount these A4-sized quiltlets onto heavy watercolour paper (30x40cm) by sewing them on with stab stitches, using a long length of thin thread, doubled, in a colour that matches the paper, and careful not to let the stitch show on top. Signed and put inside a smooth, clear sleeve, they are transformed from scraps of fabric into "little paintings".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This title popped into my head, Navigating the Straits, as I do see a boat and a lot of tossing and turning and it fits in with your theme. Thanks for permission to work from your photo. I have an idea.
Joanne

reensstitcher said...

You have inspired me to dig in my bin of past experiments and find lot of interesting scraps for my journal quilts and for pieces for a craft exhibition I am taking part in in October. Thank you!

Elizabeth