23 July 2010

Stairway to nowhere

One thing leads to another, and my travels round the art-internet this morning (via the work of Kristina Jansson) brought me to the story of the Winchester House in San Jose, California.
It was built by the heiress to the Winchester rifle fortune ("the gun that won the West") on the advice of a spiritualist. Because the "architects" were the spirits that she consulted, the house is full of strange rooms, staircases and doors that lead nowhere, etc. The spiderweb motif and the number 13 are everywhere. Read more about it here (and how it has become metaphor here) and see pix here.

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

I read the title to your post and immediately thought of the Winchester House -- before seeing that's what you were writing about. I used to live in Santa Cruz, virtually right over the hills from San Jose...although I never made it to Winchester House.