18 November 2010

3D workshops induction

Impressive facilities in the 3D and sculpture workshops at the college - it looks clean and bare now, but apparently before degree-show time it's heaving with people and unbearably loud, with so many machines running. Ear protection (and masks, for dust) are mandatory.
I'm daunted by the machinery, but would really like to use it ... what sort of book needs bandsaws and metal drills?
Old but still useful -
And welding - that could be interesting too! -
In the sculpture workshops -
Equipment includes a kiln and a foundery, and we were shown how to do sand casting.
I took a lot of notes - this is all new to me, and I probably won't need to use it (it's way out of my comfort zone, for a start), but knowing it's there definitely expands the boundaries of possibility.
I learned some new names of machines - pillar drill, bobbin sander, chop saw, mig welder, plasma cutter. There's a laser cutter, of course - an unexciting-looking box about 4 feet square, run from a computer in another room.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

these books......enjoy
http://www.23sandy.com/Inventory/paulsrud.html