06 December 2010

From the scrap box

The first stage and finished project for two little (7" x 10") quilts.
In this one, I was aiming to use some of the fabric printed from the "journey lines" -
I haven't the least idea what it all "means", or whether it makes compositional sense; it was simply a pleasure to put the fabrics and colours together! The title started as "Shooting Stars" but now "Bomber's Moon" seems better -The second quiltlet also grew like topsy -
The title is "Night Flower" -
Much as I love using scraps and having lots on hand to choose from, I've sorted through one scrapbag and discarded three-quarters of it ... probably some good stuff has gone, but there are several other scrap bags that need a similar purge. There comes a point when you know you'll never use it all. Most of my scraps are quite small - a 3" wide strip would be a larger scrap, and once they get the size of a plate, I consider them to be yardage.

3 comments:

Margeeth said...

It's amazing to see how your quilting turns a collage of scraps into a little landscape.
I am glad to read that for you a 3" scrap is big, I had to recalculate it in cm, for me it is big too and somthing bigger then about 5" is already yardage.

reensstitcher said...

It is good to see someone else making their journal quilts in the way I am doing my December one. I will photograph mine tomorrow and put it on my blog.

patty a. said...

Love these little quilts. So glad you showed the before and afters. What a difference the stitching made. I have many boxes of scraps - thanks for the inspiration!