13 December 2010

Glass at V&A

After I'd spent time drawing "Oranges", a Tiffany vase, one Sunday afternoon last century, I started to appreciate how clever the patterning was. And you know how it is, once you spend some time drawing something, you have a bond with it - so every time I go to the glass gallery I have to say hello to this vase -
Another Tiffany object -
And this one with the bubbles is by Maurice Marinot, who worked in the 1920s and 30s (not to be confused, even by people who don't take proper notes, with Maurice Martenot, the inventor of that strange musical instrument, the Ondes Martenot) -
While looking at all the different types of glass I kept wondering, "how can this relate to a book object" - and then came across this piece, Colourbox, by Jun Kaneko. Kaneko is one of my favourite ceramic artists and it's great to see his work in glass -
Maybe a little book-like, do you think....?

2 comments:

Cate Rose said...

You have the most interesting art in the UK, and I appreciate your sharing it as often as you do. It definitely satisfies my need to be exposed to unusual artwork.

patty a. said...

The Kaneko piece could be the inspiration for a stunning quilt!