17 January 2011

Hooking progress

Update on what I posted a week ago - the rug is looking rather like a dragon rampant at the moment:This was the state of it a week ago -
Written 11/01: Saturday was the first meeting, at Craft Central, of Hooked in London. I started a piece based on our usual car journeys, tracing them off maps in the A-Z. This little rug is a conglomerate of several bits of these maps, with roads outlined in strips of dark wool, to be filled in with light wool (I had to try that out here and there). Of course it would be fabulous as a room-sized rug with roads wide enough to drive a Dinky Toy down - but as this might be part of my "journey lines" project, it needs to be finished in months rather than years. So I'm sticking to bathmat-size.

Progress is always fastest at the start, and this is the result of a couple of nights' hooking while watching television. It's a weekend project, and I hope to have quite a lot of the white filled in by the time of the next meeting on 5 February.

Will the roads be neutral, or coloured ... that's a decision for later ...

Making rag rugs is a great way of recycling woollen garments, especially those attacked by moths (I have a fair few of those). But you must put the affected wool into the freezer first, to kill any remaining moths/larvae/eggs. Three days in the freezer (in a plastic bag), three days out, and another three days in. Then you can start cutting strips ... and get hooking!

1 comment:

Sharne Gregory said...

I would love to have a go at hooking a rug. Ohhh, to have more free time!!!