03 May 2011

A cautionary tale

Let me tell you something I forgot:

Your bank and your email provider will NOT email you asking you to send them details (such as passwords) online.

So, do not be tricked into supplying them!

If you're signed into your email account, there's no need to sign in again, however "official" the request sounds - or looks.

I got tricked - and am suffering the consequences. So, my campaign this week is to let people know that they should not follow in my footsteps!

Also, you would be wise to export your email contact list to your own computer - rather than keep it in an account that you could lose access to.

In gmail, go to Contacts, then at the bottom of the screen you'll see a box "More actions" - on the menu that comes up when you click it, choose "Export" - and download your contacts to the Downloads folder on your computer. Then save it somewhere (and update it periodically).

I was amused to see the chain of emails. A friend did some "research" by replying.
The original spam email (plenty of clues about its un-reality, if you know me at all - I wouldn't have a mobile phone abroad, would probably not be flying, why capitalise Money, myself is ONE word, too many "comma splice" sentences and other grammar, spelling, and spacing infelicities - hah, don't mess with us editors!!):

From: mcooter3@gmail.com
Subject: Urgent
Date: 3 May 2011 09:02:54 BST
To: undisclosed recipients: ;
Reply-To: mcooter3@ymail.com
I'm sorry for this sudden request, It's because things actually got out of control. I'm Madrid, Spain right now. I was mugged last night,all my belongings including cellphone and credit card were all stolen at gun point. I need your help flying back home.
To be honest,i don't have money with me at the moment. I've made contact with my bank but the best they could do was to send me a new card in the mail which will take 2-4 working days to arrive here. I need you to lend me some Money to sort my self out of this predicament, i will pay back once i make it out of Madrid.
Western Union or MoneyGram is the fastest option to wire funds to me. Let me know if you need my details(Full names/location) to effect atransfer. You can reach me via hotel's desk phone and the number is,+34 981 600916603.
Other than this,how are things with you?
mxxx

..............My friend's response:

Subject: Re: Urgent
Date: 3 May 2011 10:48:38 BST
To: mcooter3@ymail.com

I have received your message and am ready to help but when I dial the number you give I get the message "this line is temporarily out of order" – Any suggestions? Can you e-mail me the details Western Union will need?

...............The immediate reply:

From: mcooter3@ymail.com
Subject: Re: Urgent
Date: 3 May 2011 10:49:03 BST
To: john...
Reply-To: mcooter3@ymail.com

Hi John,

I need 2,000 Euro to cover travel expenses. Like i said earlier,western union is the fastest way to send money to me. Get this done from any local
western union agent close to you using my information:

Receiver: Margaret Cooter
Address: Cuesta de San Vicente, 14, Madrid,Spain

Send me the details of the transfer once you are finished,i will pay back in due course.

Margaret

..............to which he responded:

From: john...
Subject: Re: Urgent
Date: 3 May 2011 10:51:02 BST
To: mcooter3@googlemail.com

I have received your message and am ready to help but when I dial the number you give I get the message "this line is temporarily out of order" – Any suggestions? Can you e-mail me the details Western Union will need?

John

and:
From: john...
Subject: Re: Urgent
Date: 3 May 2011 11:14:42 BST
To: mcooter3@googlemail.com

Dear Margaret,

Could you please confirm whether you sent the message asking for Euros to be sent to you? I am suspicious that your name is being used in a scam. The original message implied you were in a hotel and that I was to telephone reception, however when I tried I was told the phone was temporarily out of order, When I e-mailed to say this using the reply facility I got an immediate response which gave another address and I noticed that the e-mail address differed in one character from yours. I therefore am not sending the money until I have conformation from you that all this is genuine. I await your reply with interest.

John

.............again, an immediate response from "me" (again, with "comma splice" sentences):

From: mcooter3@ymail.com
Subject: Re: Urgent
Date: 3 May 2011 11:16:10 BST
To: john...
Reply-To: mcooter3@ymail.com

Hi John,

Yes I sent the message,my Google account is currently out of memory space. I will need to delete older emails to enable me send a new email,most times emails sent to me are bounced. Please update your address book.

Margaret

Thank you for reading this far! I hope this little story will keep you safe from similar harm.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

I put up messages on SAQA, SAQA Europe, + UKSewing and maybe one more when 'your' message appeared. Several people were already thinking it was true!

I think I will do the TVCQ list, too, since I already had a message from someone asking if it was for real.

hugs and hopes for an early recovery!
Sandy

Cate Rose said...

I knew this had to be a scam!!! It sounded too fishy.

Unknown said...

Got the email too - but first thought was why me? We've not been in touch for ages!! Luckily I am in France so sent commiserations and asked if it was all true. Wondered if mistakes were caused by your "stress" rather than scam but luckily checked your website.
Good luck with cleaning up your computer.
Cheers, Glen

Cate Rose said...

I think this scam is a good reason to have an intermediary email client such as Outlook or Outlook Express (now Windows Live Mail which I don't like as much as OE) or whatever similar thing is available for Mac -- rather than doing all email business on and from a server, like gmail, yahoo, etc. Actually, my mail does come via yahoo, but I have numerous filters on that before the mail gets downloaded to my WLM account. And there's no way my address book can get hacked into with this setup because it sits on my harddrive, not the server.

I recently did have an old yahoo account hacked, the few remaining (then) names in my address book there got a weird email ostensibly from me. Fortunately it wasn't as fishy as the one your names just got, but still, I removed all those names so this wouldn't happen again. I can't seem to get rid of that email account because it is my account of origin at yahoo, even though I've been using a different yahoo account for several years now.

Anyway, as little as I know you personally, I knew this couldn't have been from you...you would have at least told us you were going to Madrid!!

Hugs.

Cda00uk said...

Thanks for the advice, and so sorry you had to find out the hard way what to do to avoid this!

margaret said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and commiseration! There's always something new to learn about technology - my mission next week will be to find out much more about various email accounts... First, though, blogs and website need to be transferred to the new email address...