28 August 2011

Art I like - J Carpenter

"She slept" by New Jersey lacemaker J Carpenter, who says:

"I render symbols of protection using lace that I make by hand, sometimes with traditional thread, other times with industrial materials such as rope and steel. I do so in order to examine conventional ideals concerning home, safety, and security. I am also interested in honoring female craft, normally completed in private, by making it public.

"The work juxtaposes perceived fragility of objects with subject matter representing protection. The sculptures reference ideals of safe spaces without providing physical shelter. I present viewers with this paradox to encourage them to consider their own views concerning security. The work asks: to what degree do conventional lifestyle choices keep us safe and at peace, and to what degree to they leave us exposed, even endangered?"

No comments: