02 August 2011

Book du jour - Thread Cloud 2

I was a bit premature posting this yesterday. Above is the finished version; below is "in progress" -
It started with a sheet of wonderful tissue (?abaca) that I'd done some drawing on. The lines didn't matter because I was after using the softness and lightness of this paper, and the way the edges became firm when zigzag stitched. I added "visual text" of more zigzag, then stepped back and actually thought about how that zigzag worked with the drawn lines (not too well). Rather than pulling it out - though the holes would have been subtle - I added more stitched lines, echoing the drawn lines. These extra lines were randomly shaded by the variegated thread, and had the additional benefit of adding more thread to the "cloud".
To keep with the softness of the thread, I used bubble wrap as the cover - that too needs thinking about.

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

Just fabulous...