02 August 2011

The Sketchbook Project

I signed up for The Sketchbook Project again, choosing the theme "Along the Line" - for reasons to do with my book arts project ... Last year's book is here, and I plan to do something similar.

The book arrived and at first glance I was a bit shocked. Though I like the roughness of the "cardboard" cover, I plan to cover it. We were promised "better paper" than last year - well, this year it's white but still thin. People using paint may find it disappointing.

If you are planning to sign up (you have till October), don't let that put you off. One of the great benefits of ANY project is that there are obstacles to overcome, and that's the "fun" bit, in my opinion - how else do you stretch yourself but through meeting difficulties?
This year my project involves "travelwriting" each individual tube line. So I traced the individual lines - they look quite surprising on their own. These will be reduced to a suitable size and re-traced into the book ... or perhaps added as separate pages - won't know till I start. Meanwhile I'll be able to keep notes during the journey on the reduced photocopy.
Another part of the plan is to document this on my "travelwriting" blog, which has been sorely neglected of late.

No comments: