02 November 2011

Childhood reading

A German aunt sent me a copy of this "lustiges Bilderbuch", which is still in print  (originally published in the 1920s) -
It was a favourite of my formative years. I was fortunate to have lots of grownups who would read to me in those very young years when I had to spend a lot of time immobile.
She had no inkling that she'd grow up speaking a different language - just wanted to be able to run around again, like the bunnies going off to school -

"Kinder", spricht die Mutter Hase,
"putzt euch noch einmal die Nase
mit dem Kohlblatt-Taschentuch!
Nehmt nun Taffel, Stift und Buch!
Tunkt auch eure Schwaemmchen ein!
Sind denn eure Pfoetchen rein?"
"Ja!" - "Nun marsch, zur Schule gehn!"
"Muetterchen, auf Wiedersehn!"

1 comment:

Sandy said...

no inkling the connection with books would last a lifetime?

didn't know about the immobile part.
Sandy