11 January 2012

The fascination of windows

Something about this (Piter 4 Triptych, by Natalya Aikens) grabbed me when I saw it in a SAQA newsletter, and I'm trying to figure out what....
The subject matter is ordinary , the addition of colours seems arbitrary but is probably the result of accident, inspiration, or considerable thought, and the framing and splitting into three also either inspired or carefully calculated. Whatever is happening, the piece works for me - it makes me look at my surroundings more carefully as a starting point. It also made me think about windows as liminal spaces - between being inside and outside, between looking in and looking out, privacy and revelation, speculation and the "truth" of seeing with our own eyes. The glass as an invisible but real barrier.

No comments: