20 January 2012

Ropes and beads

Brazilian artist Maria Nepomuceno uses ropes to make nets, hammocks, and other space-occupying structures. She allows her materials to obey their own organisational logic. The spiraling is central to her process. She describes rope as a line, an umbilical cord, and every bead as a fertile point and a possible beginning that can be multiplied infinitely.

She says: "I like to do a lot by myself because I have many ideas during the process. I sometimes say that think with my hands, because I do very simple drawings before starting the sculptures and then during the process it changes and has its own development." The work is colourfully appealing, but it's that description of process rather than any resonance of the materials or shapes that makes me look twice at it.

Photos from here and here.

No comments: