02 February 2015

Paintbrush discovery

While musing on the topic of "using up supplies" I decided to photograph some of the hidey-holes for supplies and tools in the studio.
The paintbrush drawer
The cabinet with the paintbrush drawer is in a dark corner, so it needed to be brought nearer the window for photographing. And a bit of stock-taking - it includes no fewer than 13 (unused) brushes for chinese painting, including this lovely set -
Rummaging around a bit, I found yet another old toothbrush ... and something that looked like evidence of ... moths ... frass ... moth droppings.

Sure enough, one of the neglected brushes was about half eaten, others less so.

It makes sense - clothes moths like to be in dark places, like rarely-opened drawers, and they eat protein fibres, which include the bristles used in brushes.

All the loose brushes are now in a plastic bag in the freezer. The drawer was emptied and thoroughly cleaned, and the wrapped and boxed brushes checked for damage and frass, just in case.
Protected and inedible items
How many paintbrushes does one person need? During my little fling with daily painting a while back, I found some favourite brushes ... spending time painting every day was fun and made me more comfortable with the medium and its tools, but at heart I'm not a painter, nor hope to be. True, a few brushes of different sizes are useful for this and that, but once they've been de-mothed, most of my brushes will leave the building.

For completeness, one more photo - the container holds the brushes that I've actually been using -
Clothes moths (Tineola bisselliella) hate the light; the the larvae like to be dark and undisturbed while munching on sweaty fabrics and food stains, so these brushes, which sit on the shelf and get regular washing, are safe from them.

1 comment:

Plum Cox said...

Oh my word! I'd never thought of moth damage to brushes!
Well done for tackling yours (and owning up to how many brushes you have for this genre!).