05 March 2018

Trip planning

At Stanfords map store, the books on the Camino de Santiago are on the top shelf -
My sister and I are going to start walking at Burgos and I'll go as far as Leon, whereas she - an experienced and focussed walker - will carry on to Santiago. That leaves about a week back in England before she returns to Vancouver, and the plan is to do some more walking.

John Brierley's guide to the Camino Frances (the route marked by yellow dots) has been updated every year, as new hotels etc spring up. I've been loaned an older version, but it makes sense to take the most recent edition along. Interestingly, the distances on the "chunks" - sections that it's practical to do in a day - have been revised slightly. 
Comparison of the 2018 and 2013 editions shows some changes in the town maps  - this is Burgos, our starting point (we'll have a day for sightseeing) - new edition is on the left -
and below is my endpoint, Leon, where I'll hang around for a day or two before taking the train, stopping off somewhere or other (to be decided) for a bit more sightseeing on the way home -
The re-orientation of the map, without change in the compass, is confusing - but does make room to show the locations of the new hotels.

Now that we have our tickets to Spain and have booked the first few places to stay, the whole project doesn't seem quite so daunting ... but it won't be long before I find something else to worry about! 

The main thing is that it'll be great to spend time with my sister - we haven't seen each other for nearly seven years - lots to catch up on...

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Oh, I am glad you will see your sister and have time like this to be together, chatting or no.